Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Water

Wednesday, September 1, 2010


I don't think about it a lot. Flush. Flush. Shower. Wash my hands 20+ times a day. Gulp, gulp, gulp. I/We use a lot of water. My Father-in-law and Sister got me thinking about this while staying with them last week. They turn off the water as they suds up in the shower. What? Really? Yup! And they do it every single time they lather up (body and hair). This got me thinking about other ways we can reduce our consumption of this precious commodity.

There are all of those eco-friendly appliance out there: washers, low-flow toilets, low-flow shower heads, etc. But are there any practical tips?  Every time I find a glass of water in the house that I know is a day old (or older) I dump the contents into my plants! Same goes for the water that collects in our dehumidifier - outdoor plants...drink up baby!


Then there's the tried and true use of filled bottles or bricks put into toilet backs/tanks so it doesn't have to fill up all the way with each flush.

Oh, how about those rain barrel/collectors? Pretty amazing, aren't they? I really want one of these. They just sit up against the house under the down spouts and voila, instant water for your garden. Love it.


We say, "no" to bottled water! Let's face it.  Half of those bottles never get finished and then you don't know if it's yours or someone else's. So wasteful. And honestly, there are so many cute eco-friendly water bottles out there, who wants a plain old plastic number that probably full of phthalates.


Got any tips and tricks to help us save? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas! xo

3 comments:

  1. totally loving your home and kind spirit on your blog!!! Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...thank Julie. So sweet. Glad you found me! Hope to hear from you again soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tricks.
    I leave a small watering can on on counter , next to my compost bucket, to dump in leftover water from bottles (re-usable), glasses and when i rinse the coffee carafe. Then I use that to water outside. I wish I could use a rain collectors but we are renters and have no usable corners on our house.

    ReplyDelete

Hey... You! I think you are the tops for showing the comment love! Thank you for your comments and support. It means so very much. If you leave a comment, you will find the reply in comments as well. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground