Guest Post: Valentine's: It's A Family Affair

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Love is: Having your super talented bestie surprise you with a guest post. I hope you enjoy her take on a Valentine's Dinner at Home.

Truth: My husband and I have been together for twelve years. I don’t need a romantic Valentine’s dinner. However, I don’t want to give up on the holiday all together. There are enough cynics out there already. So this year, I’m going to celebrate with ALL my true loves: my husband and two sons. It’s going to be quick and easy, and hopefully memorable. Here are some ideas to get you started if you want to trade Hallmark for a simple night together.


Dinner: Homemade Pizza
Dough (Boboli thin crust for each person), sauce, toppings (see ideas below), bake (follow package directions).

Let everyone decorate his or her own pizza, bake, cool, and enjoy! Turn on Andrea Bocelli
and sing along. My kids crack up laughing when they hear their dad try to sing opera.

Topping Ideas (prep before hand, let the kids wash and pretend chop with plastic knives while you do the real cutting and chopping. Put all in individual bowls):
Bowls of sauce with spoons for scooping
Shredded mozzarella
Mushrooms
Olives
Bell peppers
Fresh tomato slices
Sun dried tomatoes
Fresh spinach
Cilantro
Black beans
Pepperoni
Canadian bacon
Chopped chicken


While the pizza cooks, have a contest of who can learn to say “I Love You” in five languages:
Spanish: Te Amo
Italian: Ti Amo
French: Je T’aime
Chinese: Wo Ai Ni
English: I Love You
Winner gets his or her favorite movie-theatre size box of candy (Purchase beforehand and get everyone’s favorite. After the winner gets his or hers, hand out the rest for the runners up.)

AND
Bring out all of your kids’ valentines -- from relatives, classmates and schoolmates -- and read them out loud. Kids are usually so interested in the candy that they don’t bother reading them. Hearing what people think of them, like “Crazy for You from Jane,” can be a big boost! My oldest actually BELIEVES what each Valentine says was written just for him.

AND
Learn 1 Corinthians 13:4. “Love is patient. Love is kind. Love never fails.”

Dessert: as much candy and popcorn as you can stomach.

Movie: Beauty and the Beast


The end result? A night full of laughter and memories. xo

1 comment:

Hey... You! I think you are the tops for showing the comment love! Thank you for your comments and support. It means so very much. If you leave a comment, you will find the reply in comments as well. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground