Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Processed Foods

Wednesday, September 7, 2011


It started with Fast Food Nation. Then came Super Size Me. Followed by Food, Inc. and The Garden. This is not necessarily the order in which these movies were released, but it shows my slow progression of awareness (in movie form) of the crap we are putting into our bodies and the fight that many are involved in to make a difference. Even the USDA can't decide what or how much of something we should be eating - the "charts" change all the time.

Recently the hubs got me to watch Sick, Fat and Nearly Dead as well as Fork Over Knives. And while I will be the first to admit that they are both one sided documentaries, I also have to admit they make a whole lot of sense. I can see nothing wrong with consuming more fruits, veggies and legumes and less processed foods.  Probably over half of the food I feed my family is processed. Yikes!  That's kind of astounding - and gross. I mean, if I can't pronounce it and have zero idea what it is, should I be eating it? Or be giving it to my kiddos for that matter? Dang it!  Just when I thought I could really do this cooking thing, the rules changed on me. Oh well, it's never too late to learn something new right?

We've had our juicer for 2 weeks now and so far the thing annoys the tar outta me because it's always on the counter drying and the juice doesn't really get my taste buds all fired up. What does fire me up is celebrating my 50th wedding anniversary, spending time with my grandkids, and having enough energy to do it all. Add to that the possibility of not having to rely on the drug companies to keep me "healthy" and you have a win, win situation. Plus it's fun watching the littles get excited to eat sweet red corn, celery, peppers and make juice with Daddy.


Will we say good-bye to dairy, chips and cereal? I don't think so. Healthy Moderation is the name of our game. xo
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground