Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Cedar in the Dumpster

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

It's official. My dumpster diving ways have rubbed off on the hubs. It took 10 years, but who's counting? Several weeks ago, my sweet husband called to let me know he needed my car. There was a house down the street being remodeled and they had tons of cedar posts in the dumpster. Score! His original intentions for said cedar were to be used to make covers for our A/C units in the backyard. Then our anniversary rolled around and he bought me some risers (pedestals) for our washer/dryer units. They didn't fit. Lucky me!  I urged him to take them back and just make some. After showing him a few Pinterest DIY versions (here and here), he was sold and the carpentry began.

Free cedar, left over paint from a previous project and a piece of plywood. Bam!
We didn't really follow any of the exact templates we found via Pinterest, but our final product works for us. I can not begin to tell you how much my back loves my husband for this afternoon of hard labor. Seriously, it makes me so happy to do laundry now. No more bending over. No more storing laundry baskets on top of the machines. Ahhh... heaven. Now the only thing left to do in our laundry room is add a chandelier light fixture from my MIL, new cabinet handles and maybe some color via wallpaper or paint. Done and done. Thank you dumpster diving for saving my back and my bankroll.

What have you recycled lately? xo

5 comments:

  1. Looks great! I'm totally pinning this and going to try and and talk my husband into it too. Love, love, love extra storage! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what? that is so awesome! pedestals are so expensive and what you guys did looks better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty cool! I wish I could run up on some Cedar!

    I was just in my boring looking laundry today and was wondering if I would ever "jazz" it up? This gives me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of having a place to stash laundry baskets. Great idea! looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, his is a really great idea! You are on a roll.

    ReplyDelete

Hey... You! I think you are the tops for showing the comment love! Thank you for your comments and support. It means so very much. If you leave a comment, you will find the reply in comments as well. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground