Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: T-shirt Bib

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pointing fingers isn't really my jam. So I'll skip the pointing and just say... there are knit bibs retailing for upwards of $25.00! Choke. Choke. Gasp. Gasp. Yes, they're organic, super soft and have great prints, but if you're anything like me, you can't afford that. Why not make your own knit bandana bibs? It's really easy and will take you less than 30 minutes to make two!

Here's what you'll need:
1 old t-shirt
scissors
marker or pencil
ruler
sewing machine
Serge your raw edges or finish with a zigzag stitch.

This is where it gets fun... feel free to embellish your bibs with fun stitches. I used a neon green thread to create a graphic element on one of the bibs I made.
Here's my proverbial beef with selling bibs that have serge finishes - they fray! Easily. For this very reason, I went back over my ends with a straight stitch, as seen below.
 Bam! you're done. Easy huh? And look at how cute...
Y'all, that's two bibs for 66 cents and about 30 minutes of my time. You just can't beat that kind of return. And if you're wondering what I'm doing with the rest of the t-shirt - think dust cloths and bathroom cloths to clean up my counters every couple of days. (So much better than using a towel or washcloth every time.) Waste not, want not. xo

5 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Now, I just need to dust off my sewing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very nice idea! I love recycling and I am so glad that you have shared this to us. Old T-shirts are so damn useful, especially in making baby bibs. I think I must try this too. Cute bibs as well as that little model in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did you clasp the two ends together? Or is it just sewn together? No Velcro? No Snaps? Love it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hey... You! I think you are the tops for showing the comment love! Thank you for your comments and support. It means so very much. If you leave a comment, you will find the reply in comments as well. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground