Around the House: with Our Vintage Home Love

Monday, September 26, 2011


Oh Happy Day!  It's been a while since I've done an Around the House post on someone. Today's "someone" is amazingly gifted in design and woodwork. Her home is a feast for the eyes, her blog a delight to read (and super inspirational) and her bread boards... ah-mazing. I'm pretty sure she's Wonder Woman in the woodshop and the kitchen! Here's a little peek into the home of Diana from Our Vintage Home Love.

Hi, I’m Diana from over at Our Vintage Home Love. My hubby and I have been married for 19 years, we have 4 kids and we love anything vintage. Most of the things in our home come from flea markets, yard sales, or the side of the road, lol.

P&N: Which came first…the blog or the bread boards?
OVHL: My bread boards came first. Started making them about 4 years ago for Christmas gifts for friends. I started blogging in March of this year.

P&N: Which do you prefer DIY or Crafts? (you could also do a preference of interior design, product design etc.)
OVHL: DIY!

P&N: What's your favorite project you've ever done/ had the most fun with?
OVHL: Probably the rustic barn wood table in my kitchen. I saw a similar version of one in an antique store and loved it so much but it was outrageously priced. I really wanted to make one for myself but didn’t have barn wood. So, when hubby came home and said he bought a barn at an auction, I was so excited and couldn’t wait to make my own version.

P&N: Are you organized with lists, crossing one item off at a time or sporadic with lots of projects going on at once?
OVHL: I’m actually not very organized. I try to do lists but am never successful because I forget where they are, LOL. I usually always have several projects going at once. Sometimes that’s good, sometimes not.

P&N: Is there anything you are dying to learn how to do?
OVHL: I would love to learn how to make french bread and turned table legs

P&N: Are you a self-taught home renovator and wood craftswoman?
OVHL: Most of the wood work I learned from my dad. I’m also a big researcher. When I want to learn how to do something, I look it up on the internet and try to learn as much as I can.

P&N: Tell me/us a little about your breadboards and how that got started.
OVHL: I’ve always loved them, they’re beautiful. But they can be very expensive. My dad suggested I try to make them and so I did. However, he passed away before he got to see them. I designed and made my mini sets of bread boards as a way to honor my dad because, to me, they represent everything that was special to him, family, cooking, sharing a meal with loved ones and creating beautiful things with wood.

P&N: Where can people find your breadboards?
OVHL: My bread boards are available at my Etsy Shop. They are usually sold out but I always have more each Monday. I feel so blessed that people are loving them as much as I do.

P&N: Where do you look for inspiration?
OVHL: The internet, magazines, cataloges, books.

P&N: How long have you lived in your current house?
OVHL: We’ve lived here for 5 years.

P&N: What was your first project upon moving in?
OVHL: Painting all the wood trim white. Not much fun and took forever..

P&N: What's the next project you’re going to tackle?
OVHL: My hubby came home with salvaged bowling alley flooring the other day and I’d really like to make a cool table with it.

P&N: Do you enjoy redecorating/rearranging your home or do you find an arrangement you like and stick with it?
OVHL: When it comes to redecorating, I can’t stick with anything for very long because there are so many things I like, so I change it up a lot to experience different designs.

P&N: Do you consider yourself a thrifter, scavenger or collector?
OVHL: Yes.

P&N: What types of things do you thrift/scavenge/collect?
OVHL: I love to collect all types of things. Ironstone, bread/cutting boards, vintage kitchen utensils, white dishes, vintage linens, lots of things. I love going to thrift stores and looking for tables or chairs to redo.

P&N: What started your love of the above?
OVHL: They remind me of my grandma and a simpler (is that a word?) time.

P&N: You have a lot of vintage pieces in your home. Where do you go to find these treasures?
OVHL: My hubby is a picker on his days off and most of the things I have, he has found for me.

P&N: What's the farthest you've traveled to pick up a vintage find?
OVHL: We drove a couple of states over once to find an antique armoire.

P&N: Is there anything you're on a constant hunt to find?
OVHL: Whatever I seem to be drawn to at the moment. It always changes!

P&N: What is currently on your night stand?
OVHL: A Pottery Barn catalog, Cooking Light magazine, Victoria’s Secret Pear body cream and a clock.

P&N: What's your design moto?
OVHL: If you love it and it makes you happy, do it.

P&N: What do you listen to while working?
OVHL: I love the song Sweet Serendipity by Lee Dewyze. The lyrics are a great inspiration to me. I am a huge music lover and enjoy all kinds.

Thank you so much Diana. I love everything about your home, but I do think the thing I love most is that you've made it your own; your fingerprint is everywhere! xo

all images supplied by Diana of Our Vintage Home Love.
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground