Spray Painting Tips

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Wow! This easy project of mine has gotten a lot of attention in the craft world and blogosphere. I'm absolutely thrilled that so many of you like it and are inspired to make your own.  I have also gotten a lot of emails asking about the paint I used, if the paint chips, how to spray to prevent drips, etc. So, I thought I'd answer all of your questions in a much overdue post.

PAINT: For color, I use Rust-Oleum every single time. They are a great company that has done me right in the past, so I remain loyal. Here I used Flat (Matte) Black.

To seal and prevent chips. I give my pieces a coat of clear finish. Sometimes I use Flat and sometimes Satin, it just depends on the finished look I desire for each project.

TIP: If you are using black spray paint and then go over it with a clear finish, it has been my experience that the clear finish (especially the Flat finish) leaves white specks. Don't worry! Just go over your piece with another light coat of black spray paint. (I have my black mason jar in our bathroom holding toothpaste and toothbrushes. It gets pretty steamy during showers and the jar still looks great! No nicks at all.)

How to Spray Paint: This may seem elementary to some, but there are many of you out there who get drips or worry about an even coat. It's all about layers. Layers of paint. Here's how I do all of my glass projects...

1 - wash and dry well (there is no sanding or any other type of prepping)
 2 - take outside and sit on flat, stable surface (preferably not on a windy day - this blows your paint everywhere but on your project.)
 3 - go over entire piece with a light coat.
 4 - once the first coat is dry (mere minutes), go over your piece again with another light coat.
5 - go over with your spray paint one more time to ensure good coverage.
6 - once your paint is dry (I would allow about 15 minutes at least)  go over once more with a clear finish.
7 - Once your project is completely dry, bring inside, style and enjoy!


I hope these simple tips prove helpful. If you have any questions, as always, please feel free to contact me via email. xo
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground