Tutorial: Floral Cushions

Tuesday, March 9, 2010


Hello and happy Tuesday to you. Remember the chairs I showed you last week that I wanted to recover with that amazing green floral fabric? Well they're done and I thought I'd show you how I did it. For the record, I'm head over heels in love with the way they turned out!

When I bought these chairs at the garage sale they had been sitting outside for years and the cushions really showed it. So, I bought new square cushion at Micheal's and rounded the corners with scissors to match the shape of the chairs.

Then I traced around the cushions adding a half inch to make my pattern. Since this was a redo from my first job, I took the old covers off, ripped the seams, pressed them and used them to make my new pattern.

I then pinned down my "pattern" to the floral fabric right side to right side and cut them out.  When I first made these cushions, I cut the back piece of the cushion in half, added 2 inches to the top half and 3 inches to the bottom half to allow me to take the cushion covers off easily for washing. (I try to avoid zippers at all cost!)
Tip: The fabric is folded in half so that I cut out two chair cushions at once.

Once the new floral fabric pieces were all cut out, I pressed the seams for the top and bottom back pieces to prepare them for sewing, thus creating finished edges. After pressing, to the sewing machine they went where each top and bottom back piece edge was sewn at 1/2 inch.


Upon finishing all raw edges on the back pieces, I laid my top pieces right side up and put my top back piece down first (right side to right side) lining up my edges and then I put the back bottom piece down (right side to right side) and pinned all the way around to prepare for sewing. All that's left is sewing all around the fabric at 1/2 inch and voila...new seat cushions.



Now that all pieces have been sewn together, simply turn them right side out and insert seat cushion. That's it. Pretty easy right? Now sit back and enjoy with a nice cup of coffee or tea. It's coffee for me! xo


2 comments:

  1. love these. that fabric is so unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love! I'm bookmarking this page so I can make cushions for some similar (definitely not as cool as your) chairs.

    Thanks!
    AmyBeckhamGage

    ReplyDelete

Hey... You! I think you are the tops for showing the comment love! Thank you for your comments and support. It means so very much. If you leave a comment, you will find the reply in comments as well. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground