Weekly Challenge: Accept My Age

Friday, April 29, 2011

In my head I'm 28, but when I look in the mirror...reality slaps me in the face. I'm getting old(er) every single day. All through my twenties I heard that when you hit your 30's you become comfortable in your own skin. You know who you are and become more confident. Now that I'm in my 30's, I hear that all of that wisdom comes in your 40's. Really? I'm currently reading So Long Insecurity by Beth Moore and I am beginning to believe that this security we seek can only be found in Him and recognizing His creation as beautiful.  It's a journey and I think it may very well be a choice that I will have to make and fight for daily!

In a world of nips/tucks and loads of Photoshop (see image below) how are we suppose to look in the mirror and see those wrinkles, spots and grey hairs as signs of wisdom and beauty well earned without fighting for those positive thoughts?
***

This week, I've been thinking about the Proverbs 31 woman a lot. She was respected by many, seen and thought of as beautiful; a treasure to her husband. This was not because of her lack of wrinkles, but because of how she loved and served the Lord and her family. I long for this. I strive for this. I will attain this before I die (and hopefully a lot sooner)! I am choosing to: 

*look away from magazine covers in the checkout line.

*pray truth into my heart to fight my temptations to see myself as anything other than a beautiful creation of God.

*embrace my wrinkles - most have been earned by way of laughter anyway and that's a good thing, right?

*choose to see my adult acne as a part of my youth that is hanging on. (Can't figure out why it's the only stinkin' part that is...hello frustrating!)

*not compare myself to other women, especially those 10 years younger than me without kiddos.

*realize that after 2 babies, an addiction to sugar and not working out, my body is NOT going to look like it did 10 years ago when I look in the mirror - even if it still looks that same in my head. 

*keep my littles close to me and let them keep me young at heart. Bring on the wrestling matches, imaginative play and races to the car!

*laugh at myself and go with the flow.

Embrace your beauty ladies, whatever your age...you've earned it! xo
Related Posts with Thumbnails
Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground